SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdameron_gw

DFW Bermuda - Slow Greenup?

mdameron
12 years ago

Hello all, new to the forums here. I have read and searched a bunch.

I am using a one month old Craftsman push rotary mower and am in Fort Worth, TX. I have about 3500 sq ft.

Last year I mowed the lawn at nearly the highest setting because I didn't know what I was doing. This year, I've read the Bermuda Bible and am going to follow it to a T.

Beginning March 13th, I've mowed every 5 days at the lowest setting my mower will do. One time I went out of town, so I actually bumped that one up to 3 days. Never longer than 5 days. So far, I've only watered the flower beds regularly (new roses) and only once watered the full lawn and that was because I fertilized. We have had plenty of rain.

On March 21st I put down 15-5-10 in the appropriate amounts to get 1lb of N per 1000 sq ft.

My back yard is nearly perfectly flat (it has its dips, but no hill). Front yard has a slope down to the street and towards the neighbors.

Now that all the back story is out of the way, my problem is that the greenup for the front yard is going very very slowly. So much so that my fiance wants me to stop mowing so often because I'm "killing" the grass. Heh.

Front yard, you can see neighbor's nice tall green grass in the top left. Splotches are roundup'd weeds and also I roundup'd around the tree ring.

{{gwi:87599}}

Square of front yard

{{gwi:87600}}

Square of back yard. So much better looking than the front.

{{gwi:87601}}

Front yard, me left, neighbor right

{{gwi:87602}}

The back yard as a whole looks a little rough due to our 2 dogs and a couple roundup spots, but if the entire front yard looked like the best part of the backyard, I'd be ecstatic. Do I just need more patience? I have 21-0-0 ready to go. Was going to put it down April 21st, exactly 1 month after the balanced application.

Comments (30)