SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roboto_gw

Sod over gravel and/or weed paper?

roboto
12 years ago

hi,

just moved into a new house in the seattle area. the previous owner must've wanted a no-maintenance lawn, because the back and side yards are covered in gravel. we have two young kids and would love some grass and areas to plant veggies and flowers.

i've called over a few different landscapers to give me suggestions and estimates and i'm getting some conflicting feedback, so i'd love to hear what others think:

after a little digging we found that there's a sheet of weed paper and about 3-5 inches of gravel. do we need to remove the weed paper before laying down topsoil and sod? one landscaper would leave all the gravel and weed paper as is and would just add 3 inches of topsoil above the gravel and then sod on top of that. that would raise my lawn by a good 4 inches, which i don't think would look good. plus, would drainage be an issue? i thought grass needed a lot of water-- i wouldn't want to waste water by draining too much of it away.

another option would be to leave a thin layer of gravel (maybe one inch?) to have some drainage and then layer the soil and sod over that.

last option would be to remove everything (weed paper and all the gravel) and basically start from scratch-- 3 inches of topsoil and then sod.

which landscaper is right? are there other options?

Comments (3)