SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
i_love_my_cat

Growing medium...leave in bad soil, or repot in gritty mix??

i_love_my_cat
13 years ago

So, I'm very new at growing plants...and have a question about growing mediums. At the moment, I have two angel-wing begonias and a rex begonia (with two more rexes on the way), which I'm growing in African violet mix. I also have a dumbcane, a clivia, zebra plant, chenille plant, an aroid palm, and the obligatory poinsettia, which I put in "all-purpose potting soil" that I purchased in a bag at the local garden center. (I chose these soils based on information I got from my houseplant books.) All of the plants are in a northeast window, are being grown in unglazed clay pots, and "seem" quite happy (are growing, good color, etc). Although, as the weather is getting colder, I don't seem to be getting as much new growth...but am assuming that's normal?

However...I have noticed that the "all purpose" potting soil is looking really, well, bad. It compacted significantly after just a few waterings, which made me worried about whether the plants' roots are getting enough oxygen. And, it's also gotten really hard, even when moist.

So, I decided to do some research beyond what my books say regarding growing mediums and found all of the posts here about the "gritty mix." My question is: What is best for my plants at this point...to leave them in their current soil, or to go ahead and repot them in some gritty mix? If repotting is the best option, should I wait until spring, or go for it now?

Thank you!!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor