SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmgardener

Ficus Triangularis Variegata-- a few questions

gmgardener
16 years ago

I recently purchased a variegated Ficus Triangularis. She was beautiful. After doing a lot of research, I thought I was doing everything right (watering, light, drafts, etc.). Pretty soon she dropped every single leaf. Now, she is a stick plant. She produced a few new buds, but little by little, the stems have dried up and died. I think the main problem was the soil. It was so hard, that I could not even poke/pick through it (I was extremely careful not to over-water). It was a crusty brick.

I love this particular plant, so I purchased another one. They are pricey, and I know I am a bit foolish to be spending this kind of money on something that I have not had good success with. I am a novice/intermediate indoor gardener. I have about 30 plants (about 1/2 are succulents). I give my plants lots of attention and time. I have a Ficus Elastica that has doubled in size and is doing very well.

I have read hours and hours and hours of threads and haven't really seen the issue of "Brick Soil" brought up in regards to the ficus.

So here is where I need help, as I want to do right by this new plant. I purchased the plant from the same person (it was beautiful and healthy [looking] at first), so I am assuming the soil will be the same (I should be receiving it any day).

Do I repot it right away? Can you spell out exactly what I should purchase and mix together? Is it turface, granite, bark, and organic matter (what kind?)? No peat?

Also, I have two spots in my house where the little darling will go. One, has full sun all day, but can be drafty. The other has partial sun, and no draft. Which would you choose?

Any help would be appreciated! This novice gal needs to step things up!

Comments (16)