SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
porticus

Getting my raspberry patch into good shape for next year

porticus
16 years ago

I moved to a new house last winter with some neglected raspberry plants in the garden. However, in the spring I was pleasantly surprised to get a healthy amount of rasperries every morning for my cereal.

I'd like to try to increase my harvest or help the raspberries thrive. So, I removed the rose bush that was crowding the rasperry plants out. (I'm still digging out little rose shoots that pop-up) and i've removed any dead branches (raspberry and rose).

I've read that pruning is key - but I have a few questions. Apparently, it is best to remove branches immediately after fruiting. I didn't do this. Lots of branches just bent over and cracked - so i guess they are almost self-pruning! But some of the 2nd year branches (the brown ones) have new growth coming off them. Should I just leave these alone? Will they die over the winter?

Also, I've read that some plants have a fall harvest. I don't want to chop off the 2nd year branches if they are going to start to bud and give me a fall crop. (or maybe it's just the new (green) shoots that do the fall harvest thing?) I'm also not sure how I can tell if I even have plants that do the fall harvest - or if my growing season is too short. (I'm in ontario.)

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)