SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
froggedd

fix/replace 1/2 of back yard

frogged
12 years ago

Please be kind, lawn care for me is cutting the grass and raking leaves. My issue is that my two dogs have turned part of my backyard into a mess (its a good thing they are cute). The front half of my back yard. Lots of rain last fall very little snow cover this winter combined with two crazy dogs have churned up the lawn/ground. They have some places that are now just mud paths where they run chasing one and other you can see their paw prints in the mud. Other place there are small/tinny patches of grass I compare it to a well used horse paddock. My yard has one large birch in this area, the ground is very bumpy. So I want grass what would you suggest. The area is not huge maybe20x30,the other part of the yard is 30x20ish. I can not get any larger then a ridding mower into my backyard. I have access to one plus a lawn roller. Right now the ground is soft could I get away with adding top soil and rolling the area to smooth,then seeding or sodding. Or do I have to scrape the ground to even it out. Other post that suggest a box cutter to level out the ground. Can you get one for a ridding mower. What type of soil would you commend to fill in low areas. What are the pros and cons about rolling the ground. I need the yard for the dogs which means grass that will stand up to my dogs running around. Would seed or sod be better. What is a ball park price of sod. (I know this will vary by location but are we talking 100- or 1000$$$) How long do you need to stay off seeded or sodded areas. My location southern Ontario, type of grass mixture of all the different kinds of grass/weeds around. Normally do not water, have never fertilized, willing to use either organic synthetic don't care. The yard is mostly sun a bit of shade. Soil is clay based, Mow as needed on the highest setting, and like the look of tall inch or taller grass. Oh yeah and I have to do this in the least costly way as possible. Any helpful info welcome thanks!!

Comments (6)