SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gbig2

Fine fescue, PR, or TTTF?

gbig2
16 years ago

I have a one acre lot that gets mostly full sun. The front 15,000 sq. ft. is elite KBG seeded last fall as part of a total renovation. The back 25,000 sq. ft. is very thin and clumpy. It's mostly PR that came up when my builder hydroseeded the lawn. The soil is very poor, infertile, and acidic (5.7 PH). I have done nothing with the back in the four years I've been here.

Maintaining the front is going to keep me busy, so I want a lower maintenance backyard. The KBG in front looks great already, no regrets. But I have no intention of going through that whole process for the back. What I propose is to slit seed into the existing grass, with either a fine fescue blend or maybe PR?

My goals are as follows:

1. A grass that comes up quick, that I can overseed this spring using the spring rains to keep the seed moist.

2. Compatible up against KBG. I have the KBG ending at the back of my house so there's a clear, noticeable line of where the KBG stops and the clumps of PR start. So I need a grass that will blend in with the KBG, both in color, and somewhat in texture.

3. Slow growing, low input, therefore less mowing. I do not want to spend 3 hours every week mowing it.

4. Attractive. It has to meet the approval of my fussy wife:). It doesn't have to blow your socks off like the KBG, but it has to be decent looking.

The fine fescue would grow in the poor acidic soil and is slow growing. Maybe a mix of creeping red fescue and chewings? Compatibility with the KBG could be an issue? The fine fescue would establish slower than the PR. The PR would probably look better, match the dark green color of the KBG better? Or is TTTF what I'm looking for, or a mixture of all the above?

I know fall is the ideal time, but I'm thinking early spring because of the more consistent rains. I'm only able to water 10,000 sq ft at a time so a fall seeding requiring watering would be a three year project.

What would you do?

Comments (5)