SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

Planting Fruit Trees on a Builder's Berm

There is a builder's berm on the side of my yard. It is about 12' wide (foot to foot of the berm) and about 100' long. It is covered with turf grass.

Since this area is not used at all, I'm thinking of planting some fruit trees on the berm. Things to consider:

1. Deer pressure. This area is far from the house. I do not want to build deer fence since the berm is also close to neighbor's yard. I can build some tree guard for young trees.

2. The berm is not very steep. But watering is still an issue. I plan to plant the trees on either side the berm, midway between the top and the foot. So the pattern is a zig-zap shape. I still need to water the trees manually at the beginning.

3. The distance between the trees should be long. So I can drive the tractor lawn mower to cut the grass.

With this situation, I'm thinking of planting some Jujube trees, like 5 of them. Then two chestnut trees at the end of the berm. The chestnut trees may be too large. I can't think of anything else. I could plant 7 Jujube trees, but that is too many for me. The trees have to something deer does not have a lot of interest. I know I can't plant apple trees here without a deer fence.

Comments (13)