SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael357

Parafilm grafting tape

Michael
14 years ago

Under the heading, if it's worth doing well it's worth screwing it up the 1st time - I decided to try the Parafilm grafting tape to t-bud onto 9 - G11 apple rootstocks last Sunday. By Monday evening, 3 of the 9 had the tape splitting directly over the flap.

Figuring I had stretched the tape too tight or not gone around enough times, I re-applied more tape than the first time and didn't stretch it as tight. This evening I checked them all again and all but one had split nearly wide open!!! So, I wrapped them with a vinyl grafting tape that is considerably stronger than the Parafilm and hope it works.

I take it the flaps were creating an outward pressure and splitting the weak tape. Should I have used rubber bands (for strength) in addition? If so, which goes first, the Parafilm or the rubber bands?

I expect to get a wide variety of comments on this.

And this is why I did 9, having not done any since 1985, in hopes of getting one to take.

Oh by the way, the grafting went pretty well except the last 2 were done with blood pouring out of my left index finger tip, whooops, the knife slipped! Thank god it stopped when it got to the finger nail. Sorry, forgot to take pics;)

Michael

Comments (11)