SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowblower_gw

Need some advice with restoring a Boston lawn

snowblower
14 years ago

Our lawn was terrible when we bought the house, weeds abounded; it looked more like a lettuce patch.

Last summer we meticulously weeded it by hand, one shovel full at a time and insured that no roots remained. After weeding about half the lawn, and as fall was settling in, we planted a Costco Pennington grass seed that took well. At one time it looked absolutely great, but most of it appears to have died off and there are many bald areas. I think that's the result of it not being watered while we were on vacation.

At this point we're ready to seed the rest of the yard. I'm tempted to till the top few inches of what we've already planted and start that area over. If I do that, should the seed be applied as overseeding, or as a freshly seeded area? I don't know if the existing grass will still grow after a shallow till, or if what's planted and seemingly lost last summer might still grow back in, or if I should just let it be.

Being new to lawncare, I have two more questions. When, in Boston, is the ideal time for a spring planting and second, will the unsurprisingly present small bumps and soft spots in the lawn level out over time or is renting a roller essential?

Thanks for your expert help.

Comments (3)