SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Thinking of spring already! (Asparagus/Rhubarb)

missemerald
15 years ago

It's never too early to think of spring planting! That said, I have a few questions for asparagus and rhubarb growers out there. I want to plant both in the backyard this spring. How early should I do so, and what varieties work best? I've heard that asparagus needs wet soil or sunny or shady... basically, I've heard a lot of different things. I want to dig a bed around the base of my deck, put it in, and let it go since the fronds are so pretty and lacy anyway. But the area, though sunny is not totally sunny and it is not damp either (but not too dry). Would this work?

And, about the rhubarb. My MIL gave me a hunk of hers, which I split into two chunks and planted. But when I planted it, it looked pretty bad and really dried out. It may make it, it may not. If it doesn't, is there a tried-and-true recommended one to plant? I've seen it for sale occasionally at Walmart and Lowe's in the spring, but don't recall any specific cultivars.

I'm patient. I'm willing to put them in the ground and wait to enjoy them. Isn't it about two years for each?

Thanks!

Comments (2)