SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclum

Veggies by Chain Link Dog Enclosure - Toxicity??

aclum
16 years ago

Hi,

A bit of quick background.... We have a very nice lawn area about 60 x 40 with a few trees off our patio that we've enclosed with a 5' high chain link fence. This is to provide a nice area for the dogs as well as a "lawn vista" of sorts from the patio. I'm planning my veggie gardens - mainly raised beds - outside the chain link but within our regular wood fence. I'm planning on approximately 50 LF of 1-1/2 to 2' wide veggie beds right outside the chain link.

(In addition to other beds).

I was surfing garden web and on some forum (can't recall which), I was reading a nice thread on Scarlet Runner Beans. I'd been planning to plant some Scarlet Runners just outside the chain link to have pretty flowers to help disguise the chain link as well as provide some good eating.

Then I read in the aforementioned thread that raw scarlet runner beans (like fava beans) can be toxic in some people - and I assume also dogs. I KNOW my dogs are going to try to eat anything that pops through the chain link, so I guess I'll have to put the scarlet runners someplace else.

I'm also planning to have eggplants and peppers (along with flowers) in the beds along the fence. I know these CAN be toxic to dogs, but I think I can keep these far enough from the chain link so that they're not a problem (or if the leaves poke into the chain link maybe just put up some plastic drop cloth type of a barrier going up about 2 feet.

I know to keep dogs away from potatoes, onions, and the nightshades, but the beans were a surprise to me! Anything else toxic to dogs that I should be aware of in planting next to the chain link? (I've read most of the online list of plants toxic to dogs on the web - but had never seen the beans mentioned). (I hope sweet peas are OK!).

Thanks,

Anne

Comments (11)