SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eeknight

Nutrient deficiency or overwatering?

eeknight
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new and I just started a winter vegetable garden in coastal zone 9. I'm growing peas, celery, rapini, radishes, lettuce, and fennel. I used roughly the Mel's Mix recipe (1/3 to 1/2 compost, 1/3 to 1/4 each of peat and vermiculite) in raised beds using San Diego's city compost blended with a little manure. My seedlings started great but now growth is really slow and older leaves look yellow (on all plants including the peas) which might be a sign of nitrogen deficiency. I was wondering; if my soil is almost half compost, it shouldn't be nitrogen deficient, should it?! However, I learned that my city compost is made from yard waste and is much lower in nutrients than kitchen scrap compost. Are my plants starving? Is it a micronutrient problem and not the nitrogen?

I suppose the other possible cause of problems could be overwatering. The soil never dries out because it's not hot now and it holds moisture well, but it also drains rapidly, so there's never standing water. It's always just slightly damp to the touch, but light and crumbly. All the plants rooted like nuts in it. Do they really need it to be completely dry between waterings?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County