SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suburbangreen

Maybe too early but...

suburbangreen
16 years ago

It's maybe too early to start seeds, but I thought I'd give it a try. This will be my second year gardening and I want to get a jump on the season. One-hundred degree days will arrive in July and maybe earlier so our season doesn't really last through the middle of summer. Sometimes in late Feb. and early March our temps get into the 60's during the daytime.

I'm only trying a few seeds to see if it will pay off. The tomatoes I'm starting will be container tomatoes. I'm trying five varieties, but just one plant of each. Also starting four types of peppers, but again just one of each. I'll probably eventually put the peppers in the ground. They will all stay in containers until probably late March, the peppers longer I guess.

I plan on buying some flourescent lights, just a cheap set-up. I'm curious to see if starting this early will work for me. If it does then I should be eating tomatoes and peppers by maybe early May?

The varieties are: Tomatoes--Black from Tula, Porter red cherry, Mexicana, Rutgers and Large Red Cherry; Peppers---

Anaheim, Cubanelle, King of the North and Sweet Banana.

Has anyone else started earlier than usual?

Pete

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists