SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smooremsu

Anyone know their pear trees?

smooremsu
12 years ago

Good morning!

We inherited an old, overgrown orchard when we purchased our home a few years ago. I've been trying to make improvements this year, but as you can see from some photos I've uploaded... I still have a long way to go. We have a mixture of apple and pear trees. I did some heavy pruning on the apple trees last winter, but was not able to prune the pear trees. I'll tackle those this winter. Even with being overgrown, they seem to have produced a decent amount

of fruit. I know the trees still have some disease - I've been trying to overcome things organically... but it's not as simple as I hoped it would be.

Anyway, I uploaded some pictures of some pears off of different trees to a flickr album (http://www.flickr.com/photos/40714254@N00/). I'm hoping some folks here know their pears and can help me identify

what varieties we might have growing. I've numbered the pictures. If pictures start with the same number, they are the same tree, just a different view and a slightly different explanation after the number.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated! I'm hoping to harvest some of the pears this year. I just don't know when to expect them to ripen... hence trying to figure out the varieties.

Thanks so much, in advance!

Sara in Zone 5 in Michigan

Comments (4)