SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Scoring the Mother Lode...and ideas are percolatin'!

Calamity_J
13 years ago

Oh Ya, called this guy who is a backyard mechanic kinda guy, and he told me he has all this lumber I can have for free...I go there and it's a "Beep" load of 2x4s and 2x3s, I think someone has been dismantalling mobile homes? And so they have nails in em, but heh! It's good enough for my outdoor projects...arbors, fencing/trellis stuff and now I have this great idea for a pergola that I will enclose with old windows so it will be like a greenhouse but to just sit and enjoy the sun in!!! I go on friday and get to take as much as I want!!! Plus I want to build a trellis type fence that will house a shower door window to be mosaiced like the other shower door (mirror) I did, but will be see thru and will be enjoyed from both sides...HEY! Just thought...I could do the same in forementioned glassed in pergola/(sunroom)!!! Ohhh, the possiblities!!

Comments (36)

• grandmathyme
    13 years ago

And here I was all excited that I sold our paddle boat on Craigs List! BUT getting a load of supplies and having ideas what to use them for is a WHOLE lot more fun!!!

You do such pretty and creative things. It's always fun seeing what you've done lately! I can't wait to see the pics of what you've done with your new stash!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see the "after" pictures of what you do with all that wood! I always loved your shower door and, if I get my house, it will be the inspiration to what I'd like to do with the front concrete stair risers.

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Great ideas, can't wait to see!
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

YOU GO Jane!! Great news..happy for your wonderful score!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Geez, calamity...you're loaded for the whole summer+ now! Great find! The trellis type fence with a shower door sounds very intriguing! Cause your mosaiced one is out of this world! I'm going to attach a couple pics cause I know you like pics...and you may have seen them before but they might pop an idea into your head...cause you're so creative!! TFS! Jeanne S.

Barnwood trellis with birdhouse ...made with scrap barnwood by DH (& me):
    {{gwi:145601}}

Another with diff view:

{{gwi:145602}}

And this one is the bird arbor sanctuary I just took the other day ...and how beautiful the flowers are now as summer approaches. I kept thinking of your free 2x3's & the top of this arbor popped into my mind...maybe you can incorporate something like this for your pond gardens! Ahh, just dreamin' & excited about your pond!

{{gwi:145603}}

HAVE FUN!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the Wonderful Pics and so grateful as I LOVE your creations and am gonna copy those trellises as I have Bird houses too!!! YES!!! And Love the arbor! Soooo many ideas and only a 1/2 acre to put them on!!!ha! I'm running out of land!!! I just figured out that when I get my last 100 plants in the ground I will have planted 500+ plants in the last 14months! All mostly babies...but once they establish...Zowee! Plus I wanna build some poles to hang bird feeders off of since I would love to have some wrought iron ones but am not working so no dineros, so will make some outta all this wood...they'll be good and sturdy and I will paint them with some free paint I just scored at the recycling depot...I was planning to use this wood to add poles to my fence and put the bird houses on them but these trellises you make are so nice I HAVE to make them now instead!!! I'm so glad to have this forum!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, so far I have 15 projects to make out of this wood....I'm OBSESSED!!!! Okay...1st step...gettem here!!! ohhh I'm powerless over free!!! Raining cats and dogs here but too bad, suck it up and get over there!!! I also have some concrete treasures to pick up..pics to come...

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

I think it's just hillarious to see how happy stuff like used lumber can make us - ROFL !!!! Great score ! I have to pass up so much great stuff like that - just because we don't have the room to store it .

You go Girl ! Get to lumberjacking !

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

For creative folks like us, free finds are like drugs...so ta speak '-)

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So finally went and got the wood...and as I was unloading it(poor picnic table!lol!) I spotted another "project/idea" that is gonna need to be added to the list...may even be the first one!!! Got 2 loads and was ready to get a 3rd when Hubby put the brakes on that roll...."insert pic of Jane pouting..." I haven't let on about all the outdoor tile I scored....have to wait till the coast is clear to smuggle that goodness in!!ha!

from this....

to this!!

Well, actually I made this from scrap wood last year, but had to share this pic as the clematis is sooo pretty!!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

OMG, calamity...that pile of wood will make WONDERFUL trellis's for your birdhouses! I love this one with the clematis (beautiful)! Have fun...great score! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jeanne! I showed hubby your awesome birdhouse trellises, and he was very impressed(he grumbles about "projects", but once he gets going, he Loves to do this kinda thing)...I design, he cuts! We are on nail pulling duty today as he is horrified with having this pile(How long is this gonna sit here Jane?!?!!!)of wood right in the middle of the lawn...hey! I figure it's easy access!!!ha! I'd just set up my "work" station right there and have atter, but oh no...clean it up and put it away, bring out what you need to Complete a project at a time.(I'd have lumber all layed out on the lawn where I could "visualize" it!!!ha!)Oh well, I got it here and will behave....yaaa...try to....

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spent the day pulling nails...there seems to be an average of 20 nails per board!!sheesh! and Painting the pergola and arbor that have been waiting but it's been raining, painting a little pc of garden junk to add to a display I am making from my recent freebee haul from the concrete guy, DH has been cooking and cleaning and I'm outside playing all day...gotta like that!!! Yup, measuring the wood, getting ideas...got a real production line of stuff going!(Got wood in little piles all over the yard!lol! Poor hubby is staying in the house!ha!) I feel proud to be using all this junky wood that most people would throw away...it's perfect for out in the yard!!! My neighbor(87) is painting his little white picket fence the most amazing sky blue...it doesn not go with anything else...house trim...it's wonderfully crazy!!!hahahah! He has me inspired to add some paint bling to my projects...

• susiewantsroses
    13 years ago

You are so productive, I love it!!!!! So proud for you. Cant wait to see the total garden. But do we ever get finished? No, we keep redoing. LOL

Jeanne- Thanks for showing us your fantastic trellis's again.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So was "touring" the yard this am and went to look at a "stash" of goodies and came across this old pipe and some cutain finials...and since I am not working and so can't afford to buy one of those nice shepard hook garden stakes...I'll make my own!!!

Garden Hanger Idea

Newest Garden Junk Stash!!!

And a pic of my newest Garden Junk Stash!!! It aughta keep me busy!!! lol!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I scored this pole for free, it was a lamp post made out of plastic pipe(irrigation pipe?) so I added my solar lit flower(on top) and my repainted sign and it became a bird feeder tower!!!(6ft tall)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:145597}}

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Love your shepherd's crook. Much better than one's you buy.
    Kathy

• nonacook
    13 years ago

The pipe thingy is wonderful. I have pipe but not the curtain pieces.....Will have to look for some.
    Since my printer is broken, I have been putting
    more things in my 'Clippings' and they tell me it
    is full---only holds 50 clippings.....LOL

• socalliegal
    13 years ago

I can take that gnome off yer hands if'n you don't like him no mo!!!! Just kidding, but if you want to find a good home for him...I will adopt gnomes...lol!

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Calamity..what are you drinking? LOL, your energy and creativity are totally awesome! Bottle me up some, will you?!! And for that matter, I REALLY love the
    "DH has been cooking and cleaning and I'm outside playing all day"!
    Holy Crap, where did you find this guy? Can we clone him?

Your stash in the last photo is neat, and I'm really loving that big Seahorse. What a find in him!

hugs, Karen

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Gosh, you have me all excited and you're the one with all the fun stuff! I can't wait to see what you do with the wood. I love Jeanne's birdhouse/trellises and I hope you make at least one of them because they are so great. I love what you have done with the pipe/finials and the lamp post too.

I was talking to a co-worker today. She was complaining that a couple of friends of hers are getting too hoity-toity for her taste. They made fun of her for rummage saling. She spent about $70 at a city-wide rummage sale. She got a new wardrobe for her son including a pair of almost new Nikes and GAP clothes along with a load of toys including an electric car and a horse that interacts with the TV. I told her I admire people who find something for nothing or almost nothing. We both agreed, we are the kind of people, when complimented on something we own, will immediately say where we got it and how little we paid for it. lol! I think certain folks like us love the thrill of the hunt (except no one or nothing gets killed during our expeditions).

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Went out this am(Finally a lovely sunny day(tons of rain), and lo and behold, a pretty yellow finch found the Finch Feeder Tower!!!hahaha! YES! I was so excited! Maybe all the yellow attracted him! AND as I was painting the pipe yesterday...I realized that it looks like a pipe to shut off water mains..hmmm, I will have to go check and see if it fits our main water main, as we currently don't have one...and if anything were to happen, burst pipe, we would have to call the Regional district to come shut it off, so this may be a good albeit flukey thing to discover!!! If it is, I will have to rethink/redo the pipe used for this project. Now I am on a painting frenzy, nuthin' is staying unpainted!lol! My hubby is out of town and I am a free range painter!(His worst fear!!!He keeps me away from paint brushes)ha!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Jane....I have been laughing for the last ten minutes reading all of your posts!! I hadn't caught up with this one in a few days! I agree with Karen...WHAT are you drinking??? I WANT SOME!! Your energy is exciting and I'm like Kathy...getting excited for you just reading your posts. Love all of your "stuff"! What a great load of wood and your garden stash stuff is great...love the post with the curtain finials too! And your trellis with the clematis is just beautiful! We are definitely of the same breed...Love to find free stuff and cast-off stuff and bring it back to life....gives us all a rush I think. Great job on all of your projects and keep us posted!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Wow, I am coveting your "GJ stash"...I'd like that seahorse & snail, that boot & cute little "tootsies" foot & whatever it's leanin' on! What great finds! You will be painting & having fun for quite some time! You go, Girl!

And your new bird feeder tower worked! I'm sure that yellow finch is loving it...Goldfinch is our state bird here...they are so petite & pretty! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I showed DH the pole thingy and he modified it to fit our water main, so we fluked out on that, but now I gotta find a replacement pc for my "project". Tonight I went to a gal down the road, she sells usana stuff, anyhoo, she has a 19yr old garden...LOVELY!!! Not much Garden Junk, but she does have a fabulous old claw foot tub for her pond...niiiice!!!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So a few weeks ago, my BFF showed up with gerainuims(never grew before) and this lovely stand...then last week I scored this free cement planter from the retired concrete guy...OH OOH OH Have this latest News Flash...that shoe you see in the Newest stash pic...well I have decided what to do with that!!!...anyhoo back to the new planter...so I painted the planter, repaired a broken terra cotta saucer by glueing with gorilla glue and then using drywall tape(fiberglass mesh) and mortar(added pebbles for decoration),also painted(sponge painted all this with 2kinds of green patio paint and black and copper for highlights, added the flowers from BFF and other "gift flowers" and TaDa!!!Also decided my cast iron bunny looked good with this! Not bad for all free!(excluding bunny)Now hopefully I can keep this watered/alive!lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:145598}}

• kudzukween
    13 years ago

Lookit you!! wow, free goodies are always much better! can you sneak back over and get more wood?? lol you've got a lot of great ideas..you go, girl!
    kudzu/cherry

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Love how you made the cement planter YOURS! This is a lovely vignette with the geraniums & your cute bunny! Love the plant stand, too! TFS! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I know he's not garden "junk" per se but I just love your caste iron bunny! He looks great with the new plant stand and concrete planter. Great paint job on the planter. So what's next?

• aka_strawberrygoat
    13 years ago

omg~...how do you DO it?
    once you get an idea, it just snowballs and bam! we see genius at work..
    every time I see things all created, I want so much to go rummage in my storage unit.
    I have too many things to complete as it is, though but still, it gives me hope that some day I can drag a significant bunch of things from there and get to work...

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

I love the color of that planter, the stand, the flowers,
    the iron rabbit!

I think I've got you figured out. You ATE the Energizer Bunny.. and then washed him down with some High Octane didn't you?

hugs, Karen who's bright green with envy

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So that cement boot I scored...I was thinking....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:145599}}

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I want to build this and close it all in with windows...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:145600}}

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

That's exactly the kind of pergola I've been wanting, only square since my cement slab is. But when I got estimates on having one done it was around $1800. sigh. And unfortunately neither DH nor I can do things like this anymore ourselves.

I'm flabbergasted over the SIZE of that boot. Sheesh, a family of midgets could live in it! LOL
    How the heck did you get that thing home?

hugs, Karen

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL! Karen, that is just the idea pic!!! I have a cement boot,(look at: newsest stash pic) that I am going to use a wire mesh armiture, to build a roof onto it!! Ohhh no, DH would really try and put his foot down if I lugged home one that size!!!ha!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

LOL, too...at that boot image near your pond! I love your cement boot & what a great idea! You go, girl! Hope your energy lasts all summer! And that pergola would be very, very COOL! (with windows, too!) TFS! You need to start a new post when you do these new creations! I bet some are missing out on this cement pot! Jeanne S.