SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarawings

Is my aloe in sun shock?

tarawings
16 years ago

Hi! Your message board has been very helpful! I just bought an aloe plant, and I think I have figured out what is wrong with it, but I don't know what to do about it. I think the plant is in shock from moving from low light (the nursery where I bought it) to my porch (very very sunny). Should I bring the plant inside to a medium amount of light, or leave it out in the sun?

The outside leaves are turning brown and beginning to curl at the tip. They are slightly soft, but not mushy and definitely not hollow or crispy.

I replanted the aloe is in a 10 inch terracotta pot, with no plate under it, in a mix of sand that I collected from the beach, potting soil, and soil that I collected from the ground where other succulents are growing wild, with gravel in the bottom. (I live in Big Sur, CA in a particularly sunny area where large cacti and succulents are all over the place- this is the soil I used.)

It has been around 80 during the day and 50 at night here. It has been very very sunny. I have watered the plant one time (3 days after replanting), with about a 1/4 cup of water.

From reading this and other sites, other than going from low light to very high sun, it seems like everything is right as far as the care, but I may be overlooking something. I generally have a green thumb, but have never grown succulents before. I started two other large pots of other succulents (fire sticks, elephant bush, etc.) and they seem very happy.

What should I do?

Thanks very much!

Comments (7)