SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Peach Genetic Variability

denninmi
16 years ago

I found this interesting, and thought I'd post it.

Quite a long time ago, probably close to 20 years, I bought what was labeled as an "ornamental flowering peach" at a chain store garden department for $2.00 on sale -- dormant, bareroot, roots in a plastic bag with sawdust, about a 5' tall, non-branched little whip. I'd never had a flowering peach, but thought it would be pretty.

Well, when it bloomed, it was NOT an ornamental peach, it just had small, boring regular peach flowers. However, it grew a very nice crop of small to medium, white fleshed, very late ripening peaches -- ripened in mid-september. The peaches had great flavor.

The tree grew to a good size, and yielded several bushels of nice peaches every year for about 10 years. I canned or froze the excess every year, and always threw the skins and pits into my compost pile, where most years a crop of young peach trees would sprout.

When the original tree started to age and decline, I decided to save and plant some of the seedlings. I got a couple of trees similar to the original, small to medium size, late ripening, excellent flavor, but with yellow flesh.

So, I planted a number of trees from the pits of the progeny of the original. The results have been really interesting, IMHO. I now have about a dozen trees which yielded some fruit last year, but have their first real crop this year.

What a diversity of fruits! Some ripened in July, some won't be ripe until September. Some are very small, some medium and one has giant, softball sized peaches. Two of the trees have white-fleshed peaches, but most are yellow, so I'm guessing the gene for white flesh is recessive. They are all freestone like the original. All of them have very good flavor.

I'm going to save the pits from the two or three best trees and see what else I can get. These trees are all basically an inbred line, because I don't have any other peaches or nectarines at the moment, and I really don't know of any in the immediate neighborhood that would be a pollen source.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer