SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drscottr

The good, the bad, and the ugly......

drscottr
13 years ago

Thought I'd discuss a few of the success and failure from this years garden and see what input all you fine folks might have. I garden in Maryland using raised beds.

1) Cucumbers - continue to be a problem - the cucumber beetles are endemic and the wilt kills my plants before I get decent yield. Maybe I should try covering the plants with thin cloth and use hoops made from PVC pipe. I have irrigation available. Has anyone done this in the mid-Atlantic?

2) Lima Beans - Planted them in mid spring - the plants grew well with thick foliage but the bean pods didn't develop until mid fall and then the cold stopped their growth. Am I planting too thick? I don't add nitrogen and the soil tests are essentially perfect. Used king of Garden variety.

3) Peppers - They grow well but very few seem to turn colors from green to what ever. I plant one per square foot in very rich soil with great drainage. Do others have great success with yellow, red, and orange peppers in Maryland or nearby?

4) Melon suggestions for the mid-Atlantic would be great.

5) Tomatoes were great this year but grew too many.

6) Beans - grew on a huge trellis made from cattle panels - worked very well.

7) Stink bugs - any strategies?

8) Grew too many okra, onions, and leeks. Potatoes grew well also. Asparagus was great and the first year strawberries were wonderful. Need to mow them back and cover them now.

Open for any comments and suggestions.

Comments (6)