SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garedneck_gw

Controlling Peach Brown Rot after Picking, Maximizing Shelf Life

garedneck
9 years ago

Once i pick a peach or nectarine i store inside at room temperature in the kitchen away from direct sunlight at a constant 74 F. I find picking the peach a day or two before they tree ripen works best to keep birds/squirrels from ruining them, and be able to share with others ( a day to transport before ripe) and it seems i can get a better flavor and more intense sweetness letting it ripen on the counter top (or perhaps my salivating a few days before consumption is effecting my judgement!).

I have tried holding the fruit unwashed inside, soaking in water 10 minutes and soaking in water/bleach ( 1 gal water to 1/4 cup household bleach) 10 minutes with the last approach seeming to allow the fruit to stay brown rot free an extra couple days. What do you do to maximize room temp fruit (peach on others) life? Looks like many recommend NOT using bleach so i will probably try white vinegar or peroxide instead.

Park of my problem is the last couple years i've been getting some brown rot on the trees and must do a better job cleaning the orchard and additional sprays.

This post was edited by garedneck on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 23:59

Comments (9)