SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Unidentified footed fern doesn't have many fronds.

amccour
15 years ago

I'm not sure what kind it as, as indicated by the topic. It has a fuzzy brown rhizome, somewhat glaucus leaves that are more or less like a Kangaroo Paw fern's, except they're not shiny and they have rounded tips. It looks like what I've seen called Bear's Paw ferns, but I have no idea what the botanical name is and the common names are fairly useless here.

Anyway, it only puts out new fronds when it's about to lose older ones, and only has about 8 at any given time as a result. Also, there are parts of the rhizome that don't have any fronds on it.

It's usually not too far from a window indoors -- about three or four feet, I'd say. Outside this summer, it never got direct sunlight but it was getting more than inside. I do tend to keep it on the dryer side as it's a bit over potted because the rhizome gets bunched up and starts growing funny otherwise, although it didn't react any differently than when I kept it wetter, either. Humidity's probably acceptable. I'm not having any trouble from my croton, NIP, or any other ferns, which all supposedly have higher humidity needs.

(Also, unrelated, my Zebra Plant appears to be trying to bloom. Let's see if it can go all the way indoors. Let's also see if I can keep the whitefly infestation on it in check. Manually squishing them has worked okay so far).

Comments (2)