SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floramakros

Need I.D. Help on Tree

floramakros
10 years ago

Hi, there's an unusual fruiting bush/tree that a neighbor had in a backyard I recently visited during a housewarming party. They don't know what it is and I don't either. ;-) If anyone knows it will be one of you, I'll give you all the info I observed plus what the previous resident told them.

The weather here is hot and dry all summer, cold and wet (but no snow) in winter if that helps you. OK, it's about 10ft. tall and covered with green narrow downcurving leaves similar to a peach or nectarine tree. The weird thing is the leaves don't last very long at all, at this point the tree only has yellowing leaves on the last 6 inches of each branch tip. All the rest are brown and dried ready to fall. This has nothing to do with the heatwave they told me, it always drops its leaves this early each year. If it wasn't for the growing fruit you'd think it was dead.

On a few random branch tips a brown leafless stem about 6 in. long sticks straight up. At the end of this stem is a cluster of green fruits. I only counted maybe 4-6 per cluster but I'm not sure. They will grow into medium sized green "flattened egg-shaped" fruits but they don't remember anything else they were told about them. I'm probably more curious about it than they are, LOL, but I gotta know, all info is appreciated, thanks!.

Comments (5)