SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Home orchard plan - sun, space, varieties

gwlolo
10 years ago

I am planning what to plant in my backyard orchard. I am in San Francisco bay area and have a decent sized lot but some shade. Summertime average highs are 80 degrees in July, Aug, Sep with a few 90s and 100s. Average winter lows are 38, 39 in Dec, Jan. Hardly any summer rain to speak of. Mid-May to late sep is pretty dry. Ideally I would like to invest in larger container sizes so that I don't have to wait for fruiting. I would also like to try multi-grafted and larger espaliers if I can find them. I would love some feedback on my choices, ideas on where to order etc.

Avocado - Holiday. I read that this lasts on the tree and has larger fruit on smaller trees. Any sources?

Apple - I am smitten with Pink pearl which is pink fleshed and Rubaiyat which is red fleshed and only available as a bench graft from green mantle

Fig - Violette de bordeaux

Plum - DH loves plums and would really like a rich red fleshed variety that ripens to be super juicy (the kind you need to eat over the sink :). Any recommendations?

Pear - I love seckel pears and would also like to try warren pears. Can I get these multi-grafted?

Manadarin - We have a golden nugget and I would like a Kishu. Any idea where I can order a larger size container?

Cherry - My daughter loves cherry and I would like to get a multi-grafted variety that includes some rainier type.

Grape - We love muscat type varieties. Are the seedless muscats flavorful? Also thought it would be interesting to grow a wine grape like zinfendel or a champagne grape. Not sure if I have enough heat for that.

Banana - I love the leaves and would like some fruit. Is there a variety that will do reasonably well for me?

Guava - Again can I possibly grow any red fleshed or white fleshed varieties?

Sapote - We love the brown fleshed varieties from south asia. If I plant, will I get some fruit?

Berries - Prefer thornless. I would like an extended Black berry and raspberry season. What varieties would work best?

Comments (6)