SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

No dig potatoes in baskets Add your hints

goldenpond
15 years ago

Someone asked about my method of potatoes in bushel baskets.You can also use Large buckets or other comtainers provided you add plenty of drainage.I prefer farmer's bushel baskets as they are natural with ready made drainage.

Start by filling 1/4 of the basket with compost or soil(not manure)

Set sprouted poatatoes about 3 inches apart.( I use potatoes that accidentally sprouted in my pantry but you can buy seed potates.

Cut so each piece has a sprout and allow to dry a day or two.)

Cover with a little more compost and then i add leaves or straw.when the greenery is about 6 inches above the leaves or straw add more leaving about 4 inches of greenery out at all times.

Adding occasionally- as it compacts and at the seasons end when foliage begins to yellow you will have potatoes filling the basket. Each potato and growing zone means they will ripen different. At the end of the season you can dump them out or just reach in and grab your spuds,NO DIGGING!

If you want a really large harvest you can do this with chicken wire say 3 or 4 ft.tall and make a circle about as round as a bushel basket. Keep adding and they will keep growing taller and filling with spuds.

There are many other methods similar to mine just google growing potatoes in baskets and you will see. P Allen does his with all compost but then P Allen is loaded$$$$

Please help us all and add ideas using your recycled items in the veggie/fruit garden to this post

tanya

Comments (10)