SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackrag

NOOB Young Peach Troubleshooting, Diagnosis

blackrag
14 years ago

Hi, I have 6 peach trees. 3 Elberta & 3 Georgia Belles. This is their 2nd season. I took a few pics. Anyone willing to take a look and make some observations? I originally had 12 peaches. I am down to 8 and counting. This coming Feb. I plan on pruning/training them into a "vase" for the 1st time.

Chad aka blackrag

Eastern PA

Here is a link that might be useful: My little orchard

Comments (3)

• jellyman
    14 years ago

Chad:

They look like ordinary young trees. I would not allow trees that young to bear, and maybe that's what they are telling you by dropping their fruit, which should have been thinned off.

The top growth looks pretty extensive compared with the caliper of the trunks, and I see that you are supporting them to keep them upright. At some point you may want to prune off a little of the top growth until the trunk diameter catches up with the rest of the tree.

As the trees grow, you may want to enlarge the cleared areas around the trees and keep them well mulched. That keeps a tree growing vigorously and may help add to the trunks. Stone fruits should not normally need external support.

That's a handsome orchard site. Hope the drainage is good.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• blackrag
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Don, I believe the site's drainage is good. 2 weeks ago I did away with the support. I plan on giving them a "haircut" this winter. I am working up my courage and trying to become informed on "open vase" pruning techniques.... Should I pinch off the 8 peaches? Thank You, Chad

• olpea
    14 years ago

As Don mentioned, the trunks are a little small. You seem to have them fairly ridgedly anchored. This will produce smaller trunks. The bending and waving of a free standing tree increases the trunk size. I don't support any of my peach trees, and I'm probably in a windier location than you. I do keep my young trees shorter though.

I also think the growth is a little slow for a second leaf tree. Mulch will make a huge difference in growth, just keep an eye on rodents, especially with the woods nearby.

The woods will also eventually provide you with plenty of plum curculio, so get a game plan in place.

Eight peaches spread out on all those trees shouldn't bother them too much. I'd go ahead and get your fruit.

You have what looks like a pretty good case of bacterial spot. I don't think it's scab, which can look very similar. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to be done for bac. spot. I think some folks have reported marginal success spraying diluted copper during the growing season. This season I sprayed a dormant copper spray to try to knock it down.

What's more important is peach leaf curl. If you aren't spraying for it, you probably have it. I say that because if your weather has been wet enough to cause significant bac. spot, it's been wet enough for leaf curl. That would also help explain why your trees are growing a little slow.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio