SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chervil2

Saltwort - Salsola komarovii growing experience

chervil2
16 years ago

Has anyone had experience growing this salad green? I ordered seed from Johnny's and planted it four separate times in seed germination mix in my house. With all my efforts I ended up with one plant from the entire packet. I found this salad green to be a really tasty treat and beautiful in appearance and want to improve my growing experience next year. Does anyone know why I had difficulty with germination?

Chervil2

Comments (6)

• bejay9_10
    16 years ago

First - I've never tried growing saltwort, but I'll bet it would really like the ocean influence in my zone. It is easy to give advice but I will say this.

I doubt that this vegetable seed needs cold or scarification treatment, but it is a thought. But unless Johnny's specified it, probably not.

On the other hand, if this plant grows in salty marshes, perhaps your seeding medium is a bit too acidic.

If I have doubts about seed being too old (I'm a seed saver), I sprout them in folded, damp paper towels - if enough of them don't sprout, I'd opt for some new fresh ones.

One last thought - many seeds sprout better in open ground, rather than in planting medium. Just a thought - if it is a salad green, it sounds like it might be more conducive to direct sowing.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

• dwalton_johnnys
    16 years ago

Hi Chervil2,

I work at Johnny's, and I checked with an authority on Saltwort for you. They said that when we grow this at the farm, we direct sow the seed when the soil temperature is 70-80°F. The seed is covered very lightly with soil. Saltwort seed has about 4 month longevity but the germ is 97%.

They suggested that you may have buried the seed too deep, or that your soil was possibly not warm enough. Perhaps you can elaborate on your planting method. When did you order the seed? We always ship fresh seed but I can look into the lot number for you if you like - it should be printed on the packet, if you still have it.

Thank you,

D. Walton

• josie23
    16 years ago

I got some from Johnnys this year and direct seeded it when the temps had warmed up. I had pretty much 100% germination.

My area does get late afternoon shade, but I had healthy bushy plants. No salty flavor but a crunchy green herb.

• chervil2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all your helpful and encouraging replies. The temperature in my house is always a constant 70 F and I planted saltwort in a flat in seedling germination mix the same time and same way I plant lettuce seed. The lettuce always germinated well while the saltwort yielded me only one mature plant from the entire packet. I purchased the saltwort seed in spring of 2007 and do not know the lot number since the packet is now empty and discarded. Perhaps I would have had better germination results from direct sowing.

Chervil2

• dwalton_johnnys
    16 years ago

Well, I'm sorry it didn't work out this year, for what that is worth. I do hope you'll try again. In the future, if things don't seem to be growing correctly, please feel free to call or email using the contact information on the JohnnySeeds.com website. We're always happy to help!

D. Walton

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

One possibilty, chervil2. At a constant house temperature of 70 degrees, the soil temp in your germinating tray may be considerbly lower due the heat loss in evaporation. You may better results with bottom heat under that tray. Never tried saltwort, but seedless watermelons are a bear to get the soil temps high enough with out adding heat.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio