SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spaghetina

Fall front yard garden is finally taking shape (warning: very pic

spaghetina
14 years ago

This project has been a long time coming. I pushed it out of my head several times when it was still just a thought, imagining the neighbors might complain, or that it was just too weird to turn my front yard into a vegetable garden, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. The grass that was out front was mostly weeds, and had turned brown, and I knew that having a lawn was wasteful in terms of water, fertilizer and energy spent tending to it. Additionally, the front yard was already ugly, so having some raised beds and vegetables couldn't possibly make it uglier. I bit the bullet about a month ago, and purchased the wood for one box - just to see how it'd look. I cut the wood the next day, and assembled the box to see whether I liked it or not. I let it sit, alone, unfilled, floating in the middle of my "grass" for several weeks, trying to let the idea sink in. To be honest, I didn't love the way it looked, but the lumber was cheap, and assembly was relatively easy for one person to do alone, so I decided to go ahead with it.

All of the wood was purchased at Home Depot (on sale for $1.99/timber, yay!), and I had them cut it all for me to save me the extra steps. Out of that lumber, would come two 4x4x9 beds, one 4x4x12 bed, and one 4x8x9 bed. Everything was stacked up, with holes drilled for rebar to be driven into the corners(which took me 3 days because I used a cordless drill and the batteries died after every 3 holes - lesson learned, use a corded drill for big projects), and then a week or two later, I had collected enough cardboard to be used to smother out the grass.

Fast forward to 3 days ago. After waffling for weeks on what kind of soil mix I should use, I finally decided to go with a mixture of 1/2 proprietary nursery mix from the local supply company, and 1/2 finished compost. I put in my order, and it was delivered the next morning. Being that the soil had been dumped in such a way that it was blocking my walkway and the sole entrance/exit to my house, I got to work immediately. Wheelbarrow load after wheelbarrow load, my back screamed at me to stop, but I popped some Aleve and went on about my business until every bed was filled. Honestly, I almost stopped after I'd scooped just one load. I stood there, looking at how little it was that I'd just hauled over, and seriously contemplated driving down the street to Home Depot to hire the guys standing around outside. I wanted to. Oh man, I REALLY wanted to, but I knew that in the end, I would have felt a diminished sense of satisfaction, had I enlisted the help of someone else to complete a project that I'd claimed as solely mine. It took me 5 hours, and good Lord, the next day, I was feeling every second of those 5 hours spent shoveling dirt. Prior to that experience, I hadn't any clue just how heavy a wheelbarrow full of soil was. I also wasn't aware of just how much labor would be involved in shoveling soil into the wheelbarrow. Now I know. And my back will always remember it.

I took a break yesterday, mostly because I couldn't walk, or bend, or move, or breathe without groaning in pain, and that was with me already under the influence of Aleve and extra strength Tylenol. Today, although still in pretty excruciating pain, I decided to go out and top off the beds and get at least a small amount of the mulch laid out so that I'd be able to get a better idea of how it'd look once completed. Rather than doing the wheelbarrow/soil thing again, I opted for 1 gallon nursery pots that I repeatedly filled and dumped into the beds so that they'd be slightly overfilled to compensate for shrinkage and settling. Once they were all topped off, I did go back to the wheelbarrow, and began scooping and hauling mulch. I think I got 4 or 5 loads done before my back told me to stop again, and that's where I've left off. Tomorrow, I'll be able to get the cardboard laid out better, since the wind blew my original configuration around and whipped up about half of it, so that it'd need to be redone, and then more mulch will go down. And after that, planting begins!

Here are some photos of the progress thus far, with more to come, as things move along:

{{gwi:110524}}

The "lawn", before anything was built.

{{gwi:110526}}

Two of the beds, unfilled.

{{gwi:110527}}

A better view of all the beds, before they were tweaked to line up a smidge better (but not much).

{{gwi:117463}}

Dirt arrived! This was SO exciting for me. I was like a little kid, watching it all be dumped out in my driveway.

{{gwi:117464}}

And it was really awesome, except that having it there meant I couldn't leave, and nobody else could come in.

{{gwi:117465}}

First bed being filled. I already wanted to cry, and I wasn't even half done.

{{gwi:117466}}

Two beds done. Taking pictures of the progress gave me an excuse to take a nice, long break. 'Cause y'know... photographic evidence that I was actually present and working was important. Or something.

{{gwi:117463}}

Making progress with the dirt pile.

{{gwi:117467}}

More progress with the dirt pile. Yes, I was a bit obsessed. It was more than half my height when it started, so I guess that's why I found the pile so...imposing. And neat.

{{gwi:117468}}

I skipped right over taking pictures of the third and fourth being filled, I guess, because I just wanted to get them done, already.

{{gwi:117469}}

{{gwi:117470}}

{{gwi:117471}}

{{gwi:117473}}

A bed, close up.

{{gwi:117475}}

After topping off all the beds, the dirt pile is much smaller, even though all I used were 1 gallon pots to move it all. The rest will be used to top off a 4x8 bed in the backyard, and whatever is left over will be bagged up and saved for later to take care of whatever shrinkage occurs.

{{gwi:117477}}

First bit of mulch goes down! WOOOO!!!

{{gwi:117478}}

More mulch. I don't know what'll happen to all those bare spots where I didn't lay any cardboard, but I guess I'll soon find out. If I have to break out the vinegar or Roundup, I will. I just didn't have the patience to get everything right up against the beds because I wanted it done, like, yesterday.

Anyway, this is my latest source of excitement. More photos to come soon!

Comments (35)