SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstyear_gw

Help...paw paw feeder roots on the soil surface

firstyear
14 years ago

I planted a Taytwo paw paw in sandy, but pretty compacted soil back in April. It has leafed out and appears to be growing pretty well. I built a brick ring about 2 feet in diameter around it and applied about 2 inches of bark mulch (pulled back from the trunk). We've had A LOT of rain this summer, so I haven't paid too much attention to the tree once it had leafed out. Today, I noticed the mulch had compacted down around the trunk and started to pull it back some when I noticed that there were a bunch of feeder roots in the mulch starting about 6 inches away from the trunk. I pulled the bricks back and there were masses of feeder roots between the bricks and soil surface. On the positive side, they hadn't quite made it to freedom yet, so all the roots have been covered and moist this whole time.

I removed as much loose mulch as I could without trying to damage any of the roots, then built a 2 inch berm of soil about 3-3 1/2 feet in diameter around the tree with a slight depression around the trunk to keep the graft above the soil line. My main concern is keeping the tree viable over the winter with the roots so close to the surface now. Any thoughts on what else I can do to help the tree along or am I just worrying too much?

I planted a second Paw Paw 8 feet away under the same exact conditions and no feeder roots on the surface, although oddly enough the mulch has not compacted.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus