SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bemonkey_gw

Need help with starting fruit tree for my family

Hi everybody ,

I need some inputs, suggestions and info on starting a few fruit trees in the backyard of the house for my family. Could you, please, suggest some good fruit tree, fruiting bush and vine varieties for a home gardener?

The following factors are in count:

* Fruits of interest: apples, pears, peaches, apricots, cherries,sour cherries, plums (would love to grow Italian), figs, pomegranate, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and kiwifruit.

* Would love to hear about native, non-hybrid, heirloom. But open to others if that is the only way to go in my area about particular fruit tree.

* Would love to have great tasting and good yield fruit tree, do not care much about appearance of the fruit. I have heirloom tomatoes in my garden that have funny shape but do not mind that a bit as long as the taste is excellent. :)

* I prefer to garden organically as much as possible, although if something really must be sprayed with a non-organic, that might be an option, provided it's not something quite toxic.

* I would plant some trees in the ground and some in big containers (until we move, which I do not know when will be happening).

* I live in south New Jersey.

* Would love to have plants that do well in my area but do not know which they are. An novice that is willing to learn a lot. :))

* I'd prefer to get some large trees that will bear a good amount of fruit the first year. Do you know of any great suppliers in my area? Another possibility would be mail order but in that case I would order smaller trees.

I thank you very much in advance for all your advices, suggestions, inputs and info.

Have a great gardening and orchard season.

Vesna

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting