SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mauirose_gw

Are some collards better than others?

mauirose
13 years ago

i want to use the leaves to wrap food, in place of a torilla or a piece of rice paper. So the leaf should be of good size but tender and with good or mild flavor.

i suspect the answer might not be as easy as 'yes, grow Vates'. It might be more about growing conditions. For example Glib reports that he is enjoying surprising success with collards grown in shade. Does this produce a more tender, mild tasting leaf? Seems like it would.

It might be that collards are the wrong choice of green altogether. I have the idea that raw collards are tough and needed to be cooked. And that they need a spell of cool weather to really shine. But i thought all of that about kale, too, until last year and it turns out i was dead wrong.

It might be that i am barking up the wrong tree, that there is some other entirely suitable green leafy vegetable out there that i haven't considered yet. It's not Couve Tronchuda-at least not the one that Pinetree sells-too tough for this application. But it might be Senposai, which i grew and loved last year and didn't grow and missed this year. Or it could be something else entirely.

What do you think?

Comments (32)