SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molex

Early 2014 Blueberry Report/Evaluations

Molex 7a NYC
9 years ago

I liked the raspberry/blackberry thread so why not start one for BlueBerries.

Southern Highbush:

Jewel - Huge plants almost 6 feet tall, very vigorous grower, huge (quarter sized) berries. Skin snaps when you bite into them. Brix in the upper teens when picked early, I let em hang an extra week.

Sweet Crisp - Young plants only produced about ~2#s of fruit. Super sweet, brix in the low 20s, skin that snaps when you bite it like a Nathans hotdog.

Northern Highbush:
Duke - Reliable producer of early tart berries. small fruit, lots of flavor brix in middle teens. Vigorious erect plants approaching 6 feet.

Northland - mounding bush type (half-high). Small berries with brix in the low 20s, superb wild blueberry flavor. This is my baking/jamming berry of choice.

Jersey - Huge plants approaching 5feet tall and wide. Loaded this year, more berries than leaves. Just starting to ripen.

Darrow - Large flat berries, with a wonderful tart flavor, very similar to Jewel. Brix right around 20. Vigorous and reliable producer.

Legacy, Liberty, 2 unknowns, Pink lemonade and Elliot are still ripening, and I haven't had a chance to taste them yet this year.

Overall the start of a great harvest. We've had a ton of rain this season, ~5" a month on average since April (normally (3.5-4"). I fertilized before bud break with holy tone, and once during flowering about a month later. I've now switched to using a � teaspoon of Ammonium sulfate every 10 days or so with 2� gallons of water. Trying to push growth on some of my younger plants.

PH in my NYC BB patch, according to my last test in April of 2014 was 5.9ish. I use elemental sulfur in the spring and fall, about a cup per plant around the root zone.

So how are your Blueberries this year?

Comments (9)