SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjeko_gw

zone 9 - currant/ribes/aronia/blackberriey

vjeko
10 years ago

I've asked a few questions about these plants before but I'm not getting very far. I'm in Croatia on the coast/zone 9.

I know this may not be the best place for such berries/fruit as the temperatures during the summer can be a dry 35C - 38C. The soil doesn't have much humus, so I added sheep manure and worm compost on top as well as mulch of whatever I could find nearby and in the garden (oregano, grape vine leaves, straw). I know the amount of mulch is not sufficient - I'm trying to collect as much as I can.
I also added diluted apple vinegar. The plants grew when the weather was colder but now I'm wondering what I should do to promote their growth etc..

The aronia has fruit but it is very small. With the blackberry, it is a similar situation. It seems they are underwatered. The plants seemed to have stopped growing and some leaves are drying up/yellow.

When I water the plants I remove the mulch to stop decay/possible disease etc. I try to water the plants away from the "trunk" and maybe once a week or every 3/4 days in the evening or early morning. Sometimes, more frequently, I make a fine spray around the plant just to keep the soil moist,/alive with bacteria etc.. But it seems I still don't know what too little or too much watering means.Is it futile to grow this type of fruit here or is there something I can do to "persuade" the plants to grow (watering/feeding/mulch) ?

Comments (5)