SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

How do I dry, glean/sort and dehull sunflower seeds?

gamebird
16 years ago

This year, I grew dozen or so 'mammoth grey stripe' sunflower plants. As soon as the seeds began to form, the squirrels began to ravage them, so I covered some and picked others a bit early. I picked them as soon as they were a little yellowed on the back of the head, then hung them on my back porch to dry. We've had a really wet, damp and cool fall (did I mention wet?) here and a few of the heads developed black or grey mold on the outer part of the hulls.

The other day I discovered that a mouse had found the heads and was taking up where the squirrels left off. So I brought the heads inside and removed all the seeds. I noticed that in addition to some of them having mold on the hull (but not on the seed-meat inside, which tasted fine), many were soft and didn't have seeds inside the hulls. Also, the seeds don't seem entirely dry to me.

My questions are:

- Is there an easy way to separate the fully mature seeds (the ones with seed-meats inside the hulls) from the immature ones and the chaff?

- Is there an easy way to dehull the seeds? That is, how do I do it without having to buy expensive equipment? It seems far too tedious to go through two gallons of seeds one at a time.

- Do I need to be concerned about the mold? The seeds taste fine and I want to throw away the hulls anyway. I'm not fond of sucking on the hulls and hulling them with my teeth.

Thanks!

Comments (5)