SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dohadizzy

Giant pathos cuttings...pls help

dohadizzy
9 years ago

Hello there...I live in the Middle East where currently temperatures are at 45 degrees celcius, we went to Sri Lanka for a holiday and in the jungles I discovered amazing amazing pathos growing around trees...leaves about 50cm long about 40 cm wide...lovely huge plants with stem of leaves themselves about an inch...let alone the main stalk
I got. Bit mad and grabbed a few cuttings and brought them home...for practical purposes and becos I didn't want to look like I was carting a dead body in a huge bag....I trimmed down the cuttings to two to three 'smaller' leaves.. some a which would fit in a normal-ish size bag to carry onboard....as soon as we arrived after the 7 hour travel journey...I cleaned up the cuttings and put them in water...the cuttings already have aerial roots which they used to wind around the tree trunks...now my questions if u cld pls help:
1. The cuttings r in the water with the aerial roots submerged....leaves out...will these cuttings grow additional roots?
2. Do I put them in soil if so when? And becos the 'clippings' are thick stalks and about 50cm tall how do I go about planting them? And any hope of getting new leaves to grow as big as they r currently
I read that the pathos need to climb to be able to grow larger leaves...and of course I have seen this...but the regular pathos which I have a at home in a pot...climbs up against a Wall from its pot and a moss stick (it's run over the length of the moss stick)...however leaves and stems are normal vine like size...so how do I make sure this one ...the new 'clippings' stay it's size....I can't plant it outside cos of the temperature...
Pls do help these cuttings and leaves r Amazonian to say the least

Comments (15)