SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlfromthegarden

American persimmon pollination distance, male to female tree?

girlfromthegarden
10 years ago

A quick question to those who may know -

I planted two female American persimmons in April 2006 - one grafted (Dickie), one (SAA Pieper) on own roots from a known female tree (source: John Gordon, upper NY state). Both trees have thrived and are beautiful, the grafted female nearing 17', and the other having had more modest growth by being more shaded, but both are mature and healthy.

The faster-growing tree flowered and bore fruit last year for the first time (seeded, very good tasting,). I opened up the area to let more light onto the smaller persimmon last summer, and this year both trees are flowering heavily. There are a known female and male persimmon pair (mature trees, close to 30' tall, from the old farmstead which sold property to make the subdivision) located slightly over 1/4 mile from my yard. I'm fairly certain it was this male tree which provided pollen for my tree last spring.

Question: Is this distance fairly typical for bee pollination efforts to be successful? I passed the neighborhood male tree this evening while out walking and saw it loaded with flowers, some not yet open, others with a bee on the blossoms even with the cooler temperatures and later hour in the day. My temptation is to cut a (small) branch with male flowers on it and bring it to my yard, where I could place it in a jar with water closer to my own trees, once they're a little farther along opening their flowers,

But perhaps this is overkill?
If the bees in the area normally travel across the back yards "in search of" open blossoms, hopefully they would find all the persimmons within a mile of mine. I'd like to ensure good pollination, especially with the smaller female tree finally blooming.

Not even sure whether I'd know the right timing on bringing the branch, or if the branch-in-water would let the male flowers stay open very long. Advice on whether this would help at all?

Comment (1)