SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjtbay

peach leaves yellowing and falling off

jjtbay
16 years ago

Below is a link showing what the leaves look like that are falling off my peach tree. The leaves that are still on the tree are yellow or greenish yellow. So far about 1/3 of the leaves have fallen off. At the rate they are going in about two or three weeks the tree will be barren. This is an established tree maybe 10 years old. I don't know the history of the tree since I've only lived in this house for 18 months. Despite the hard freeze in April there are a fair number of peaches that have set and look like they are coming along OK.

Last year it produced an abundance of peaches but about 95% had rot and were useless. Last year it had a localized peach leaf curl problem which wiped out all the leaves on one branch. This year the branch is dead. The peach leaf curl is back this year, despite my spaying, but this time it's all over the tree instead of being restricted to a few branches.

This year I sprayed with Lime/Sulfur at bud swelling. I've also sprayed with a copper fungicide "Soap Shield" three time in the past two months (Soap Shield (http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8066&bhcd2=1180746293)

It's been a dry month. Average rain for May is 3.6 inches of rain but we only had .6 inches. It was also warmer than normal month. A week ago I put a soaker hose around the drip line for about 3 hours thinking this would give it a nice deep watering.

My theory is that the spraying I've been doing has caused the problems. Instead of controlling the peach leaf curl it's made it worse by spreading all spores all over the tree. I'm guessing it's also made the problem with the yellowing leaves worse too.

Does this make sense ? Is there anything I can do to avoid losing all the leaves ?

Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:117322}}

Comments (5)