SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernadette_gourder

How to Tell When a Watermelon is Ripe

bernadette_gourder
12 years ago

A bit of info I thought some of you may find helpful!

I am asked many times at our farm stand to pick out a ripe melon for them from our pile we harvested.

Well, first things first, we try to pick them all ripe so they are all good I tell our customers! A few good pointers when trying to choose which melon looks yummy is to check the bottom end to see if it is yellow. Yellow bottoms mean it is good and ready. Next, check the stems, if there is a reddish syrup dripping out then you have a definite sweet one on your hands. Lastly, thump on the melon, if it is a dull sound you will know it is over ripe.

But the main job in choosing a ripe melon is out in the melon patch. We grow Lantha (a Sugar Baby Hybrid), Charleston Gray, Imagination, and my favorite, Crimson Sweet. All of these melons have a tell tale, pretty much no fail sign in judging if it is ripe or not. Find the stem and follow it to the vine it is attached to. Directly next to the stem, growing on the vine, is a tendril. It looks like a little green pig's tale. If this is completely brown then your melon is ripe. If it is green it definitely isn't ready yet.

Good luck everyone!

Comments (15)