SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dolivo_gw

2 ?'s. yellow squash and sugar pie pumpkins

dolivo
11 years ago

Hi all. I have two seperate questions.

First: this is my second summer growing yellow squash. I have both crookneck and regular. Last summer and the first part of this summer's harvest, my husband (who loves squash) said the squash was the best he ever tasted. ( I grow as organically as possible). But halfway thru this summers harvest, he said the squash has started to taste funny and not very good. I am cooking it the same as I usually do, sauted in a bit of olive oil, with seasoning. Is there any factors in the garden that would cause the squash to start tasting bad? The only bad thing I have going on out there is a bit of powdery mildew, which I haven't been worried about since my growing season is very close to being over. I have no SVB here that I've ever seen, the plants look healthy. I don't fertilize a lot, because the plants have always produced enough for our family without a lot of fertilizer.

Second question. I have several sugar pie pumpkins. Any time now we could get our first hard frost. I went out and did the finger nail test on them, and on all I could still pierce the skin. Can I cut them off the vines and will they finish maturing? I plan to cook, puree and freeze them for pies this thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• dolivo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spoke to my husband about squash last night and he clarified somethig. Apparently all the yellow squash this summer has tasted funny to him.
    So could it be the unusually high heat this summer? can that affect taste? I just can't think why the squash wouldn't taste good this year.

• dolivo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

weirdtrev, thanks for your help re the pumpkins. Yes, they are orange, have been for more than a month now.