SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Did I just kill my Ming aralia?

amccour
13 years ago

Awhile ago, back in February, I repotted my Polyscias fruticosa for the first time in a couple of years because it had been shedding branches. Unfortunately, I didn't really have decent potting mix at the time and had to use something that was too dense and water retentive. So, last week, I changed the potting mix out for something that was about a third each of bark, forest compost/peat/???, and perlite.

I also up-potted it, though, because I noticed the roots were sort of cramped, girdling, and jutting off at weird angles. In the process of doing this I also tried to detangle the roots and spread them out a bit.

In terms of dimensions, the plant's about two feet tall, and the pot is about eight inches wide by five or six inches deep.

Recently I noticed that some of the foliage on the smaller trunk was dropping, and that some of the upper foliage was showing a degree of yellowing, particularly along the leaf veins.

So, questions:

* I know aralias don't like to have their roots messed with too much, so am I just experiencing transplant stress, or is something else going on? I've had this thing for three or four years now without much trouble prior to this.

* I had to repot it out on my front yard. I wasn't out THAT long but it was pretty sunny out, so could I be seeing sunburn? This seems possible since this is one of the very few (two, maybe?) plants I have that I never put outside.

* The pot I moved it to use to house a medusoid Euphorbia of some sort. Euphorbias are toxic. Could said euphorbia have somehow leached toxic stuff into the pot that's not bothering the aralia?

Tending to think it's transport shock, with maybe a bit of sunburn thrown in. If that's the case, any advice on helping it stabilize itself?

Comments (13)