SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melba6088

worms in soil of snake plant

melba6088
13 years ago

Recently bought 10" potted snake plant. When I watered it, (sparingly) about 1/2" water colleccted in saucer. Because I tend to overwater plants, I watered 3 oz at a time, and was tilting pot to specifically place the water. I noticed multiple-sized and colors of worms at the drainage holes. T

The largest was about 1" long, maybe a little less than 1/8" diameter, kind of catipillar-like segment looking, curled up, mostly black with a bit of white at each foot(?).

The rest were all white and of various lengths from 1/4" to 1/2" long. Apparently at different stages of growth. They were segmented, kind of like a maggot, but were not maggots as magoots are fatter looking and not as slender looking, especially at 1/4".

I poured alcohol on them but it caused them to retreat back into the soil, so I just removed the ones I could see from the drainage holes with a stick. I hate to think how many "worms" are in the pot.

I have had hundreds of house plants and never had this happen before.

QUESTION: What can I use to kill the worms without harming the plant?

I have a systemic treatment to mix with water mfgd by Bayer, that is a combination of plant food and insect killer. It can be used on trees, shrubs, potted plants.

However, because it is a systemic,I am hesitant to use it on the snake plant.

HELP? What are they. What can I do?

Comments (9)