SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcrez_gw

37yr old Ficus dropping green leaves like crazy

DCrez
12 years ago

Hello all, I have thoroughly read as much as I could on this topic and have found this site to be a wealth of info. Thanks to all contributors. My family has had a Ficus Benjamina for decades now and it has moved around from house to house and climate to climate as various caretakers lives have evolved. Through thick and thin it has survived and needless to say I love this tree!

2 months ago it moved back in with me and all was well. New leaves sprouting, looking very healthy until roughly 3-4 days ago when green leaves started falling bunches. About 50 healthy looking leaves have shed in a few days.

Now I know that I've severely over-watered it and have risked root rot. The tree's pot sat in about 2 inches of overflow water on 5-6 different occasions and now roughly 3 inches of the trunk above the soil line is darker than the rest of the bark.

My questions are....are there any measures I can or should take to help this tree? Or is my best course of action to simply let the soil dry out and then begin watering properly? If I should just let it dry out, should it be watered when the top few inches of soil are dry again? Or given that it was over-watered, should I allow all the soil in the pot to completely dry before re-watering?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (8)