SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlargaespada

Slug Damage to New Blueberry bushes

rlargaespada
13 years ago

Not quite a month ago I received my 11 Blueberry bushes from an online nursery. They were tied together around a stake at the top and string around the bases of the roots at the bottom. They looked very nice.

Their instructions said I could heel them in for a period of time until I was ready to plant them. Well I had much to do around here and I noticed how leafed out they were getting. The other day I noticed a big amount of leaf loss and thought it was from being tied up so much, so I started my bush planting yesterday.

When I went for my bushes I found almost all leaves gone and the bunch was covered with slugs! Well I got every one of them, dug the bushes up and did the planting. Now, almost all the bigger branches (about 2 feet long) are without leaves. Would it be best to cut these right down to the base or partially?? Are they lost for good. will they re-bud? I have searched online, but only find slug control and "minor" pruning advice.

Can somebody give me the best advice as to what to do with these bushes? I am not concerned with the slug control. I know about that (I just did not pay attention to the plants earlier).

Comments (2)