SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_mescalito

Looking to try some new mulberries

organic_mescalito
14 years ago

Hi, I recently bought two mulberry plants from Edible Landscaping after trying the fruit at the nursery. The Shangri La (Florida variety) was in full fruit and they were large and sweet. I ate my fill under the tree, and was very surprised it was Morus alba, as the fruit I've picked from wild trees haven't been nearly as good or juicy. I also ate a fair amount of Collier (M. alba x M. rubra), and they were good too, though not as juicy as Shangri la. They had a nice sweet sour- taste that should be better for processing. Good out of hand too. The Geraldi Dwarf (not sure of species) was in fruit, but neither I or my companion enjoyed them as much as the other two. I ended up going home with a Shangri La and Illinois Everbearing (M. alba x M. rubra), as I wanted a long fruiting plant. I tried a couple IE fruits, but they were not completely ripe. Same type taste as Collier.

Now I want to get a good white fruiting M. alba. There is one tree near my house that has pretty tasty and large fruit, and I bet they would be great dried. I have read there are a range of flavors with the white albas, and wondered if anyone could share their experiences with the varieties available? Beautiful Day is available from Edible Landscaping, and I may drive back up there to taste it. It is supposed to be from a tree found in Maryland. The variety Tehama sounds real good, large, plump fruit, very sweet with succulent melting flesh. Mmmmm. It might not be hardy for Z-7, as it is listed as best for milder winters. I'd be willing to plant it though and see what happens. I also read of a member here that got a nice white mulberry with a sweet vanilla flavor from Exotica Rare Fruit nursery in CA that was said to be the best of the many they have tried. The variety was not mentioned. I don't think they mail order, and they don't have a list of plants available at their web site. Any input on favorites is gratefully welcomed.

I want to try Morus nigra so bad, but I haven't heard any good east coast reports.

Comments (12)