SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
santoro718

Help Verify/Identify Tomato Problem

santoro718
11 years ago

This will be my first post on the forum. Have been a fan for a while.

I recently pulled one of my Big Rainbow tomato plants because it was looking like it had a nasty virus. I think it may have been Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus due to the symptoms. I have an image attached of one of the fruits, and I am following up with a representative image of a leaf, and also an image of a Tabasco plant (I believe this seedling was the source of the disease. Have pulled this plant as well).

I first noticed the tomato fruits had a number of raised brown spots (see fruit image). This does not seem to be a defining feature of TSWV, but, I am not sure. Next I began to notice the spotting and progressive darkening of the leaves (see leaf image). After that, I noticed that one of the runners had completely wilted new growth (sorry, no image). At that point I threw in the towel and yanked both the tomato (was painful, ~20 fruits) and the tabasco. The tabasco looked as it did in the plant image at the time of pulling.

So my questions are 2 fold:

Can anyone verify that I indeed had TSWV or some other virus?

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening next year, beyond the standard crop rotation?

Any help would be appreciated.

Some Notes that may be helpful:

I also have tomato pinworms, you can see some evidence in the leaf image. I had some curcurbit wilt virus in both my cantaloupe and cucumber plants this season. Saw some of those pesky striped cucumber beetles who may have been spreading it. I have images of the root cluster and cross section of both pulled plants. They looked normal to me.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County