SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lantanascape

What could cause a melon to taste nasty?

lantanascape
14 years ago

The other day I picked a Jenny Lind melon that looked perfect. It slipped the vine and smelled sweet. I let it sit inside for about 2 days. When I cut it open, the flesh right by the seed cavity had a cantaloupe colored tinge, but the rest was the normal green flesh, and the correct consistency for a ripe fruit. However, when I took a bite, it tasted incredibly nasty. As in, I spit it out, threw the melon away, and had to eat something else to get the taste out of my mouth. It was sort of bitter, and the only thing I could think of was "gasoline" due to a strange sharpness. I don't think anyone, in a blindfolded taste-test, could have guessed that this was a melon.

I have had fruits off this same vine that were sweet and good tasting. Any ideas what could cause this? Temps have been in the high 50's/low 60's at night, and usually in the low to mid 90's during the days. I have not been watering the melons much because they have not showed signs of drought stress, and dry conditions are supposed to make sweeter melons anyway. I'm afraid to try any of the melons that are ripening now!

Comments (3)