SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tazzyx4

Please Help! Trying to save this apple tree!

tazzyx4
14 years ago

I came across this forum and after lots of reading.... I realized I know nothing about fruit trees! :) So anyhow I hope someone can help me save my tree.

We just bought a foreclosure in California and we have several fruit trees on the property...including this apple tree, which I know is not a crab apple but still haven't figured out what kind it is. The most noticeable issue, is that half of the tree seems burnt, nothing around it shows any signs of fire, so I can only assume its an issue with the tree (thought fire blight but not all symptoms match). Since we moved into the house in May we figured we would just wait till fall and have all the trees pruned together especially since all the trees were already producing fruit and otherwise seemed very healthy. (we just figured that since the house was vacant for so long they just needed some water and a little TLC) Then, in the last few weeks some of the small branches towards the bottom began yellowing and dropping fruit, at first I was removing them until I realized it wasn't helping and that we must have a much bigger problem to deal with.

I have thought about pruning the but I am very worried....I don't want to prune the tree too much, especially since its the wrong time of season, but I don't want to lose the tree all together because we neglected it. I have included a link to some pics to hopefully help determine whats going on here. I have no idea of the age of this tree, but can't image it being all that old.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=guz5seo.33z8kvc0&x=0amp;y=-x4dqef&localeid=en_US

Hopefully I can get some idea of how I should move forward, I also have lemon, peach and pear tree, so my other concern is that this problem could move to them, since they are all very close in proximity (and I just noticed some yellowing on top of my lemon tree!?!). Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Again,

Sabrina

Comments (2)