SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bloomin_onion

What kind of Tomato is this??

Bloomin_Onion
9 years ago

Hi all, I need to know what kind of tomato I planted! I lost the package, but I bought the pack of seeds from the dollar store. I expected them to ripen at the same rate as other tomatoes I'm used to, and look and taste like those too.

However, I ended up just watching them grow and grow, waiting and waiting to ripen! All summer long I didn't have ONE ripe tomato, and since I live in Zone 2, I thought for sure we'd see frost before my tomatoes ripened! Even now 60% of the tomatoes are still on the plant, some are still the size of a tennis ball while others.... well just look at the pics! Finally, we got a warm spell (our summer was VERY cool, unusually so) and some of them ripened over the next 48 hours. I took my first tomato, cut it open and Wow! Look at that pattern! I've never bought a tomato like this at the store, and WOW did they grow BIG!!

The picture of the tomatoes on the plant is one tiny ripened one, the only one ripe but still uneaten. The comparison is to other tomatoes of more average size off the same plant, still green however.

So sure, I waited a long time, and sure they were big... but the biggest thing was the Flavor!! They tasted like the deepest, richest flavoured tomato I've ever had! I even sliced a store-bought tomato and ate to compare... literally NO similarity. You may be able to say this for any store bought tomato vs. any organically home grown tomato, but I think these are very special.

Does anyone know what kind they are?? Thanks in advance!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting