SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsntech

Large Scale Corn Planters - Nitrogen Usage

bsntech
13 years ago

Hi all,

I grew some Sugar Dots and Silver Queen corn this year. Out of about 72 total plants, I managed to get only about 40 ears of corn from them. More than half of the corn stalks didn't have an ear - and there were a few that had two.

We were at the in-laws house over the weekend - and they live by a corn field. So I took my tape measure out to measure things.

The corn was planted about 28 inches between rows. The spacing between plants in the row ranged from five inches to nine inches.

I planted all of my sweet corn 12 inches apart in the rows and 18 inches apart between rows. While my rows were closer, there was considerably more space between plants in the rows.

Every single corn stalk in the field (that I checked) had a good ear of corn on them - if not two.

Therefore, I would like to ask anyone - that grows corn - what spacing they put between their plants and between rows - and how exactly they fertilize or feed the corn. I'm just a bit frustrated with the produce especially since the corn itself took up probably 30% of my overall gardening space this year.

The corn was grown in compost that was retrieved from the local compost facility; nice black, fluffy soil. The Silver Queen corn grew to be at least seven feet tall; the Sugar Dots corn was pretty poor and maybe grew a little over five feet (I am wondering if the seed is bad actually). I gave them a bit of compost tea once every couple of weeks into the ground - and also even did a foliar spray of compost tea a few times.

Any suggestions or hints as to how you grow corn and any fertilizer additives would be great!

Thank you all.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County