SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gripple

grape leaf disease opinions

gripple
15 years ago

My story made short: I live in upstate South Carolina. I started a vineyard of 76 vines in around '98. Wine grapes. After all that time only a couple harvests. :-( If it wasn't birds, it was black rot, or japanese beetles, or hornets. Eventually the whole thing succumbed to Pierce's disease. Double :-( I razed it all. It was also 15 miles away, so I couldn't keep constant tabs on it.

I've since restarted this spring here at home with a modest 20 vines: Chambourcin ("PD tolerant") and Cynthiana/Norton ("PD resistant"). 10 of each. So far, so good. However...

When I moved to this house in '94 there were already 3 old scuppernong vines. A few years ago the oldest one, died of PD. Pity. It was male and made a fantastic canopy over the pergola without the sour fruit and bird droppings. It's trunk was easily a foot in circumference! Now the other 2 are showing some odd symptoms, so I thought I'd ask you guys your opinion as to what you think is going on so I can stop it before it spreads to my babies.

I'm attaching a pic. In it you can see the dried out brown spots and the pale green spots which is how they begin. To the right on the cane you can also see an ovoid, sunken brown lesion.

Well, thoughts as to what's the deal and remedies are eagerly sought!

Rich.

{{gwi:113346}}

Comment (1)