SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valadelphia

how to keep birds from blackberry

veeta
12 years ago

Following the very helpful recent post about keeping birds off blueberries, I am planning on constructing some cages of some type next year. Because of the size of my bushes and the space they inhabit, I think I can manage this even with my limited carpentry skills. However, I also have a sizable thornless blackberry that I would like to cover next year (too late for this year, as I stupidly trained it on a fence and the birds can just come from the other side if I drape bird netting over as I intended).

So, does any one have some great photos of how they protect their blackberries from birds? I am thinking of installing a sturdy (wooden?) stake next to the main 5-6 ft. branch, and then adding additional stakes at intervals to attach the lateral branches.

I am thinking I could then attach a perpendicular piece of wood at the top of the stake, and drape the bird netting over the entire length and secure it at the bottom. In this way, there would be enough clearance that the birds could not get the closest fruit, and if I pull the netting taut at the bottom then they cannot get caught.

Any other suggestions? I need this to be moderately attractive.

Comments (3)